Main Content for Tab Navigation.


Go Back to Directory

Where can I find more information about COVID-19 Updates? You can visit our COVID-19 Updates Page by clicking here!
What majors are offered at Los Angeles Harbor College (LAHC)? LAHC offers a variety of majors, as well as preparation for university majors upon transfer. A list of majors can be found here.
What is it like to be a student at Los Angeles Harbor College? Our students have many positive things to say about their experience at LAHC. Visit our Instagram @Studyinlosangeles to learn more.
What kinds of athletics and intramural programs are there? Men's sports include basketball, football, baseball, cross country, and soccer. Women's sports include basketball, softball, volleyball, cross country, and soccer. Click Athletics to view sport details and the coaches.
Do I need health insurance? Yes, all international students are required to have health insurance provided by the LACCD.
Do I have to attend International Student Orientation? Yes, International Student Orientation is mandatory for all incoming students. No exceptions (ask ISP staff for more information).
How much is the International Student Application Fee? All applicants must pay a one-time fee of $50.00 either online through the SIS Portal or in person in the cashiers office.
When do I have to make tuition payments? You will be responsible for tuition payment after registering for classes. All payments must be made before the first day of classes.
What is the English proficiency requirement at Los Angeles Harbor College?

TOEFL scores:

  • PBT - 450 minimum; CPT - 133 minimum; iBT - 45 minimum
  • IELTS score: Band 5.0 or above
  • Step Eiken score: Level 2, pre-1, or 1
  • iTEP score: 3.5 or above
  • Other standardized tests may be used.
Do I need a translation of my transcript? Yes. Foreign transcripts must be translated and evaluated by an approved agency listed here. After, request for the evaluation agency to send your evaluated transcripts to LAHC's office of Admissions and Records (you may only need to do this if you want to receive credit for classes you have taken prior to LAHC).
Does Los Angeles Harbor College offer financial aid to international students? International students are not eligible for federal or university need-based financial aid, but are eligible for merit-based scholarships sourced from private funds (click here for scholarship information).
Are international transfer applicants accepted? Yes. Any international student with a valid student visa (F-1) may transfer to our college.
What is the number of credit hours for full-time status?​ A student must be enrolled in 12 units to be considered for full-time status. Students may be enrolled in 9 physical units and 3 online units totaling to 12 units overall.
How do I obtain an I-20? The International Student Program assists all international students with inquiries regarding I-20 processing and visa information. A student must first be admitted and submit documented proof of financial responsibility before the I-20 can be issued. You must then contact embassy or consulate to begin the visa process.
I read that I must purchase health insurance. I already have insurance from my home country. Is that good enough? All full-time international students at Los Angeles Harbor College must purchase health insurance known as IMED.
What is a DSO? The government calls university staff members who can update SEVIS "DSOs," which stands for "Designated School Officials."