Los Angeles Harbor College Building

California Aid Programs

California College Promise Grant (former BOG Fee Waiver)

The California College Promise Grant (CCPG), formerly known as the Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOGFW), waives enrollment fees for qualified students for the entire school year. Students may receive a waiver for any number of units, with no minimum. You may qualify if you have some financial need, receive Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (AFDC/TANF), Supplemental Security Income/SSP or General Assistance and those who meet certain income standards.

The CCPG only waives enrollment fees ($46 per unit). Students are responsible to pay any fees not covered by any additional financial aid resources at the time of registration to avoid being dropped for non-payment.

California residents and students with AB 540 status may apply for a CCPG by completing a FAFSA or DREAM applications or submittting a manual form to the financial aid office. The CCPG begins in the summer semester of each academic year and must be renewed every year.

You may lose your eligibility for the California College Promise Grant (Loss of BOG) if you:

  • Fail to maintain at least a GPA of 2.0 in two consecutive primary terms (fall/spring semesters), and/or
  • Complete less than 50% of your coursework in two consecutive primary terms (fall/spring semesters)

You'll be notified within 30 days of the end of each term if you are being placed on Academic probation. After the second consecutive term of probation, you may lose eligibility for the fee waiver at your next registration opportunity.

If you lose eligibility for the California College Promise Grant (BOG Fee Waiver), there are a few ways that you can have it reinstated:

  • Improve your GPA or Course Completion measures to meet the academic and progress standards.
  • Successfully appeal through Counseling regarding extenuating circumstances.
  • Not attending your school district for two consecutive primary terms (fall/spring semesters)

Please note that foster youth and former foster youth (age 24 years and younger) are not subject to loss of the California College Promise Grant (BOG Fee Waiver) under these regulations. If you have questions or need assistance, please contact the financial aid office or the admissions and records office.​

The following information pertains to financial aid programs administered by the California Student Aid Commission.

Cal Grant Eligibility Requirements

  • Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen or AB540 eligible
  • Be a California resident or AB540 eligible
  • Attend a qualifying California college or university
  • Demonstrate financial need
  • Be enrolled at least half-time in a program leading to an undergraduate degree or
  • Not have a bachelor’s or professional degree
  • Not owe a refund on any state or federal educational grant
  • Not be in default on any student loan

Cal Grant A

Entitlement awards can be used for tuition and fees at public and private colleges as well as some private career colleges. For the 2020-2021 academic year, this Cal Grant covers system-wide fees up to $5,742 at CSU's and $12,570 at UC institutions. If you are attending a private college, it pays up to $9,084 toward tuition and fees. To get this Cal Grant, you need to be working toward a two-year or four-year degree.

Cal Grant B

Entitlement awards provide low-income students with a living allowance and assistance with tuition and fees. Most first-year students receive an allowance of up to $1,672 for books and living expenses. After the freshman year, Cal Grant B also helps pay tuition and fees in the same amount as a Cal Grant A. For a Cal Grant B, your coursework must be for at least one academic year.

Cal Grant C

Awards help pay for tuition and training costs at occupational or career technical schools. This $1,094 award is for books, tools and equipment. You may also receive up to an additional $2,462 for tuition at a school other than a California Community College. To qualify, you must enroll in a vocational program that is at least four months long at a California Community College, private college, or a career technical school. Funding is available for up to two years, depending on the length of your program.

Cal Grant A and B Competitive Awards

Are for students who are not eligible for the Entitlement awards. The main difference is that these awards are not guaranteed.

Cal Grant A Competitive Awards

Are for students with a minimum 3.0 GPA who are from low and middle-income families. These awards help pay tuition and fees at qualifying schools with academic programs that are at least two years in length.

Cal Grant B Competitive Awards

Are for students with a minimum 2.0 GPA who are from disadvantaged and low-income families. These awards can be used for tuition, fees, and access costs at qualifying schools whose programs are at least one year in length. If you get a Cal Grant B Competitive Award it can only be used for access costs in the first year. These costs include living expenses, transportation, supplies, and books. Beginning with the second year, you can use your Cal Grant B Competitive Award to help pay tuition and fees at public or private four-year colleges or other qualifying schools.

Refer to this brochure from the California Student Aid Commission for more detailed information.

The Student Success Completion Grant (SSCG) is administered by the CA Community College Chancellor's Office, this is a financial aid program for Cal Grant B and C recipients attending a California Community College full-time (12 units or more). On top of the Cal Grant B or C award paid at community colleges, the Student Success Completion Grant pays full-time Cal Grant B or C recipients a maximum of $1,298 annually at $649 per semester for eligible students who enroll and attend 12 through 14.99 units per term and a maximum of $4,000 annually at $2,000 per semester for eligible students who enroll and attend 15 units or more per term.