Citizens' Oversight Committee Minutes
LOS ANGELES HARBOR COLLEGE
CITIZEN’S OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE
December 11, 2007
President’s Conference Room
Attending: Co-chairs: Dr. L. Spink, L. Nelms, G. Mooney, P. Zurbrugg, J. Valle, J. Naranjo
Absent: Members: J. Sturm, N. Carson, D. Ethington
Guests: M. Bishop
Meeting called to order at 4:15.
One item added to Agenda: II b, Master Plan Update
I. Public Comment Time
No public comments.
II. a. Review of Minutes of 9/17/07
Minutes were accepted as presented.
II. b. Master Plan Update
M. Bishop distributed the revised Prop A/AA Master Plan (Scheme 2). Dr. Spink reported that per the Chancellor, the design of both the Library and the Student Union will be moved forward, even though there is only budget available to complete one project. At the college-wide retreat held on 12/10, there was consensus for Scheme 2. (see attached) Discussion centered on which buildings HTPA, Community Services, and DSPS would occupy; use of trees as landscaping (“urban forest”).
III. /IV Update on Construction
M. Bishop distributed and discussed:
Aerial Photo of campus
· Aerial photo of campus, in particular construction progress and status
· FM& O will be occupied this week
· NorthEast Academic Hall, Student Services/Administration Building – discussion centered on concerns that may occur in difficulty in cleaning windows, lighting, minimizing consumption of electricity
· Central Plant -- pipes are being installed currently
· Technology Building – the roof is being installed by the end of next week
· By the beginning of classes in September, we hope to have delivered and occupied four LEEDS-certified buildings and Central Plant
· CDC going out to bid early next year; PE will be in construction by then.
· Open House/Ribbon-Cutting for FM & O in March or April.
· Temporary office space for faculty will be needed as the Tech 2 Building will be torn down before NEA can be occupied.
· Athletic fields are 99% completed
· Solar panel area development; district directive to get as close off the grid as we can get
IV. Budget/Financials Review
M. Bishop distributed and reviewed the Gap Analysis report. Discussion included:
· Land acquisition items
· No project currently over-budget.
V. Report from District Oversight Committee (P. Zurbrugg):
LAHC received kudos for the football field opening. There was emphasis on PR, and on the proposition for the next bond issue.
VI. Items from the Floor
No items from the floor.
NOTE: the next meeting will include a walking tour.
The next meeting was set for 3/11 at 4 pm.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:45 PM.