Citizens' Oversight Committee Minutes
LOS ANGELES HARBOR COLLEGE
CITIZEN’S OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE
March 11, 2008
President’s Conference Room
Attending: Co-chairs: Dr. L. Spink, Dr. L. Nelms
G. Mooney, N. Carson, J. Valle, D. Ethington, T. Cordero
Absent: Members: J. Sturm, J. Naranjo
Guests: M. Bishop
Meeting called to order at 4:40.
I. Public Comment Time
G. Mooney has changed jobs, and is now with the South Bay Counseling Center. T. Cordero is the new representative from ConocoPhillips -- introductions, etc., were performed.
II. Review of Minutes of 12/11/07
Minutes were accepted as presented.
II.. VII, VIII. Update on Construction/Master Plan Update/FMO Building Open House
M. Bishop distributed:
Revised Master Plan (Scheme 2)
Discussion centered on:
· NEA/SS currently 70% complete, should be available for occupancy after August
· LEED certifications on construction
· Build-out to accommodate 12,000 students; currently, we’re just under 9,000 and are hoping to get to 9,500.
· Open House for FM&O Building, 4/15, 12 – 2:30.
· Technology Building 75% complete; target completion is July. Depending on completion dates, our intention is to do a major event on campus.
· Central Plant is nearly complete. The chillers and turbines and other equipment is expected to be up and running within the next month or so.
· New CDC is ready to go out to bid. Once the temporary CDC is ready for occupancy, we will start the process on the new buildings.
· PE was approved by DSA this afternoon, and will be ready to go out to bid very shortly. Possible third bond, projects and planned processes (design-build).
III. Budget/Financials Review
M. Bishop distributed and reviewed the Gap Analysis report.
V. Replace Member to District Oversight Committee
N. Carson will be the new member.
VI. Report on Parking Issues
Two planned parking structures were identified. Discussion centered on:
· parking issues encountered last fall
· possible off-campus parking areas; costs of van and driver are prohibitive
· student mobilization
· negotiations with city for use of lot across L Street.
· An appeal was made to the members for assistance with negotiations through neighborhood council contacts, etc.
IX. Items from the Floor
No items from the floor.
The next meeting will be set for 6/10 at 4:30.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:45 PM.