COLLEGE PLANNING COUNCIL (CPC)
HOT TOPICS MEETING
Monday, July 9, 2007
ASO Senate Room in Seahawk Center
Presiding: B. McNeel
Administration: L. Spink, L. Rosas, A. Patterson, B. Richards
Faculty: AFT: L. McKenzie, R. Oakes
Senate: M. Wood
Classified: T. Sulyok, R. Nadler, L. DeSilva
Guests: E. Portis, B. Englert, Deputy M. Young, B. Young
Absent: Administration: A. Tomlinson, N. Malone; Faculty, AFT: B. Guertin, N. Barakat; Senate: J. Stanberry; Classified: T. Gonzalez, I. Clarke; Co-chair: J. Smith; Students: N/A; Resource: B. Easley.
Meeting was called to order at 1:35.
1. Acceptance of Agenda:
The Agenda was approved as submitted by consensus.
2. Acceptance of Minutes:
The minutes for the CPC meeting on 6/4/2007 were accepted with one minor correction.
3. Report from the President: (L. Spink)
Dr. Spink reported on her meeting that day with representatives from BioTech and a nanotechnology firm (also attending were L. Rosas and B. McNeel). Nothing new to report regarding Prop A/AA construction.
4. Report from CPC Committees:
4.1 Budget (L. McKenzie)
4.1.1. Recommendation to fill Instructional Assistant, child Development position was approved by consensus, after discussion.
4.2 Facilities and Work Environment (B. Young)
B. Young reported on the status of the Safety Inspections (1/3 of the campus has already been done), and procedures for carrying out the remainder of the inspections; the planned evacuation drill for the first week of October; the re-writing of the Evacuation Plan to fit the new buildings. Discussion included the notification of IT and Facilities when a large amount of equipment has been ordered, especially with reference to fitting out the new buildings.
4.3 Staffing Committee: (M. Wood)
M. Wood reported on the progress of the Opening Day arrangements.
4.4 Staff Development: (M. Wood)
Nothing to report.
5. Program Review and Accreditation: (L. Rosas)
L. Rosas reported on progress with the Program Review Manual; the Senate has agreed to change wording referring to process, to bring it more in line with recommendations from Accreditation Review Committee. The Accreditation Progress Report is due in March; it must be ready mid-January for submission for Board of Trustee approval. Discussion included the responsibility of the Division Chairs for writing Program Reviews.
6. Emergency Response (B. Young/L.Spink)
L. Spink and B. Young reported on the progress of policy/procedure discussions requested by CPC following evacuation for suspicious object found on campus. Discussions included:
- Problems with the CDC and LAUSD and procedures to remedy those problems
- The three responses to emergency: lockdown, general evacuation, shelter-in-place.
- Areas of concern were identified and solutions discussed, including more utilization of Plant Facilities personnel, responsibilities of the Sheriff’s Department, road and off-ramp closures.
7. Items from the Floor and Announcements:
7.1 College construction ombudsman (L Rosas)
Items discussed included:
- Ceramic Lab sinks
- B. McNeel thanked Facilities for their cooperation with the project in the cafeteria area.
- $800,000 grant awarded to LAHC to train Kaiser employees, developed by B. McNeel
- $500,000 CAHSEE grant awarded to LAHC, developed by A. Patterson
- Patterson discussed the Enrollment Management Committee meeting on 7/10, as well as Student Services’ plans for a VIP Freshman Day on 8/28,
8.1 Next Meeting set for 8/13/07.
Meeting adjourned at 2:55