physiology notes: objectives
- Give a definition of endocrine glands.
- Each of
these is a possible criterion for classifying hormones; explain
- What are hormone precursors?
- List two examples of hormone precursors.
- What are lipophilic hormones and how do they operate?
- What are polar hormones?
- Explain what happens during signal transduction.
- Briefly explain how second messengers play a role in transduction.
- What is the role of calcium during the above process?
- Distinguish between protein kinase and tyrosine kinase.
- Give a short description of each of the anterior lobe hormones.
- What is released through the posterior pituitary gland?
- Distinguish between each of the adrenal cortical hormones.
- What is produced by the adrenal medulla
- How does the thyroid gland produce its hormone?
- What stimulates the release of hormones from the pancreas?
- Distinguish between insulin and glucagons hormones in terms of their action
- What is significant about the pineal gland?
- What is the role of the thymus gland?
- Describe the gonadal hormones